Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents—we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Tet "eve" in Saigon?

Posted by TurfMerchant on 13/2/2007 at 17:55

Hi, Looking for any information on things to see and do in HCMC on 15th and 16th of Feb. I hear that the 16th is the eve of Tet and was wondering if anybody knows of any street festivities/fireworks etc happening? Any ideas travelfishies? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,114 times, with no replies.

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Travel Buddies - April 2007

Posted by jacass on 13/2/2007 at 12:15

I will be landing in Hanoi on the 31st March and plan to travel south for about a month. I'm a girl travelling alone and would love to catch up with anyone who going the same route. I've been to all the other S.E Asia countries before but not Vietnam. Jo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,566 times, with no replies.

Vietnamese New Year - Whooops!!

Posted by lucyhudson on 11/1/2007 at 16:20

Hi all Can anyone help...not sure if I've timed our trip impeccably or it'll be a disaster but we get to Ho Chi Minh City on February 19th...and it seems the Vietnamese New Year starts on February 18th and lasts 3 days!! 2 Questions: 1) Will this be a good time to be there (hope so!) 2) Will all the touristy stuff/shops/restaurants still be open or does everything shut down for 3 days? We plan to stay in Ho Chi Minh City til 21st then go on a Mekong Delta Tour... Help! ...

Read the full post.

Roundtrip Hanoi - Sapa - Dien Bien Phu - Hanoi

Posted by stefanovic on 9/2/2007 at 21:56

This summer I go to Vietnam and Cambodja for 5 weeks. I start from Hanoi and first wan't to make a trip through the most northern part of Vietnam. I am thinking of the roundtrip Hanoi - Sapa - Dien Bien Phu - Hanoi. Has anybody any idea about how much time this trip would take and what the best way of transport is? ...

Read the full post.

New to vietnam

Posted by siwel21 on 20/1/2007 at 23:23

I'm planning to visit Ho Chi Minh city in march, alone for few days on a budget and fly to Bangkok. Need advice in where to stay .If I fly to bangkok via Singapore, the fare is about S$220, can I get cheaper rate if I fly direct from Ho Chi Minh? ...

Read the full post.

North Vietnam by Minsk for a few days

Posted by adamwsmith on 6/2/2007 at 16:40

Anyone fancy getting lost around north vietnam on a motorbike? I'm heading off myself,but might be safer if I have some buddies. Will proabbly be going for about 4 or five days, leaving from hanoi heading to Chinese border then west. Will be hiring bikes (probably Minsk). Adam Smith, 26 and three quaters, poor speller. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,116 times, with no replies.

Tour Bai Tu Long Bay?

Posted by prairieox on 6/2/2007 at 13:48

hi there, does anyone know if there are tour operators for Bai Tu Long Bay? We are in Phu Quoc right now and are hoping to go there after we work our way north to Hanoi. Should we try to go there independently, or is there some sort of a mini-bus/junk-boat tour that is similar to the ones offerred for Halong Bay? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,396 times, with no replies.

Hoi An hotels - Phu Thinh 1 or Thanh Van?

Posted by jade55 on 6/2/2007 at 07:23

I've narrowed down my choices of hotels in Hoi An to Phu Thinh 1 (144 Tran Phu St) and Thanh Van (78 Tran Hung Dao St - 15USD/R/N). Please, any comments about these places? Phu Thinh 1 offers 14USD/R/N on the ground floor and 17USD/R/N upstairs. Which should I choose? I prefer to stay in the Old Quarter, hoping to be in walking distance to everywhere. Any other suggestions welcome. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,633 times, with no replies.

guesthouse in HCMC

Posted by chula on 30/1/2007 at 10:29

hi- looking for a clean quiet gusthouse room in HCMC - last week of feb, hopefully after the tet rush! (2-22) hope to reserve on line as we arrive very late after flying from the US (not a good moment to be trotting up and down the streets) hoping to find budget but not rock bottom- thanks! Chula ...

Read the full post.

Accomodation Da Lat

Posted by yakrider2002 on 1/2/2007 at 09:24

Does anyone have good suggestions for 3 star or backpack style accomoation in Da Lat for We want three double rooms for Sunday 11th February to Thursday 14th February. Thanks Ross Daniels ...

Read the full post.

Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok

Posted by walsh_pauline on 27/1/2007 at 17:01

Hi there, Just wondering if anyone can help me out in arranging travel from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok. Flights are looking really expensive so just wondering if anyone had any advice re routes, airlines etc. Thanks. Pauline ...

Read the full post.

vietnam ????

Posted by vin4564 on 29/1/2007 at 01:30

i am leaving bangkok for hanoi on 19feb2007--am i going to have a problem with tet going on when exactly is it starting and ending--lots of dif dates out there im getting a brain ache---also on money conversion--i was in vn during the war and black market money changers were all over the place--is it still the same that way as far as getting the best rate---ill be spending about 5days in hanoi then down to saigon for a look then down to the mekong delta where i was stationed way back then--am ex ...

Read the full post.

Hoi-Ann/Hue to Halong Bay

Posted by eureka_my on 20/1/2007 at 14:14

Dear all, I'm trying to plan a classic Vietnam trip from tail to head (Saigon to Hanoi). Am wondering if it is possible to get to Halong Bay for a 2D/1N trip from Hoi-Ann or Hue without having to stopover at Hanoi? Not by flight though, it's a budget trip. And I am not too sure if the Open Bus Tour will allow that. Having a headache looking at the itinerary right now. So little time, yet so many places to visit. I am new here, am glad to be on board...('',). ...

Read the full post.

air tickets from Hanoi to Lpb

Posted by joseee1980 on 27/1/2007 at 13:04

Hi i was quoted 187usd for a single trip ticket to luang prabang from laos and 135 usd via laos airlines, it seems extremely over priced judging from the threads i have read through the forum. Any views on this or has the price astronomically inflates itself lately. ...

Read the full post.

Hanoi to Chang Mai

Posted by drutherford on 29/1/2007 at 11:38

Hi We are thinking of doing a 8-10 week overland trip starting and ending in Bangkok. Rough idea at the moment is Bangkok to Cambodia, through Cam to Saigon, Saigon up to Hanoi, then hopefully across to Laos and back down Northern Thailand to Bangkok. Is it possible to do an overland (bus/train) trip from Hanoi through Laos to Chang Mai in Thailand? Where are the best border crossings to do this? Second question relates to Vietnam visa's. I think I read somewhere you can only ge ...

Read the full post.

vn new year

Posted by vin4564 on 26/1/2007 at 02:07

heading to hanoi 19feb coming from bangkok-- could be problem booking hotel--staying 5days--- then saigon and the mekong delta--any tips you can throw my way would thankfully be appreciated im new to traveling---- vincent ...

Read the full post.

Hanoi guesthouses suggestions

Posted by joseee1980 on 4/1/2007 at 23:33

Hi after reading the travelfish guides on guesthouses in hanoi i have narrowed down to tung trung, artist guesthouse or even the golden lotus at a much higher price. Does anyone of you have any experience with the above list, is the extra 30usd or so on golden lotus worth it for the room and the location? i assume all of them are in old quarters. Next are there travel agencies around these area where i can book air tickets to my next destination which is luang prabang, i wouldnt be able to re ...

Read the full post.

Travel in Vietnam

Posted by drutherford on 5/1/2007 at 10:44

Hi everyone, We are planning on visiting Vietnam in June for approximately 1-2 weeks. We are on a backpackers budget but would like to see as much as possible of course. We are flying into Hanoi and will be making our way down Vietnam and then over to Cambodia. Some countries have hop-on/hop-off trains or buses for tourists. Does Vietnam have anythign like this? Does Vietnam have tourist travel passes for transport? If not, what is the best and cheapest way of travelling? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Saigon to Hanoi - and Saigon to Bangkok

Posted by drutherford on 17/1/2007 at 10:38

Hi Can anyone let me know what it would cost to fly from Saigon to Hanoi one way? Also from Saigon to Bangkok one way? Is there a cheap local airline website we can book these flights through before we leave? Are they reliable (ie if we prebook and pay, are we certain they are going to have a ticket when we get there!) Our international flight comes into Saigon and we need a connection to either Hanoi or Bangkok (unsure which one yet). Unfortunately all the travel agents here are quoti ...

Read the full post.

SEA Itinerary Experts- Advice Please!

Posted by sweetjustucia on 13/1/2007 at 02:08

Background: ~ traveling solo from the USA ~going to be in SEA from Feb. 1st thru April 18th ~flying in and out of BKK- I have a 60 day tourist visa ~planning on spending all Feb. in Southern Thailand ~applying for Vietnam visa in BKK ~desire to travel Laos and Vietnam: I have about 1 ½ months to travel ~last year I spent a month in Cambodia, therefore I’d rather skip it this trip ~very willing to fly international border crossings- overland travel within country = find an ...

Read the full post.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page