Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents—we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Vietnam trip

Posted by sailor on 28/11/2006 at 03:46

I am planning to make a trip (together with my girlfriend) from Saigon to Hanoi. we would like to travel with the train and the bus. I there anyone who can give me some advise about places where to go and about the price of the trip (I can't find much information about it). We travel like backpackers. i hope you can help us. ...

Read the full post.

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

how far from Hanoi Airport to Hoan Kiem district?

Posted by Manticore on 13/11/2006 at 21:39

hi there, Just wanting to find out how far from Hanoi Airport to Hoan Kiem district? And what would I expect to pay for transportation there? I will be there very late December 2006. thanks :) ...

Read the full post.

Mekong Delta

Posted by brinner on 28/9/2006 at 21:35

Hi, I will be in HCMC tomorrow for 2 days and then have 2 days for a Mekong Delta tour. Can anybody recommend a tour company? Also, we are travelling into cambodia (Phnom Penh) and was wondering if we would save time by going on from the Mekong delta rather than back to HCMC and then onto Phom Penh? Cheers Brian. ...

Read the full post.

Accommodation

Posted by MalcolmDean on 27/11/2006 at 10:19

I am looking for info on budget accommodation fora familyof 5 in Dalat and Nha Trang. I need help soon. ...

Read the full post.

What to do in Southern Vietnam

Posted by lucyhudson on 25/11/2006 at 00:26

Hi there We have 8 days in Vietnam and would like to go to Phu Quoc Island for 3-4 days...anyone have any ideas of what we should DEFINITELY see in southern Vietnam before our flight goes back to the UK from Ho Chi Minh City??? Any ideas gratefully accepted!! Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Prince II Hotel - Halong Bay

Posted by sleepygirl on 26/11/2006 at 09:19

Hey guys, I have heard heaps of good reviews about Prince II in Hanoi and so have booked acommodation there! I've also asked them to book a Halong Bay tour for me, and they quoted 35USD per person. Has anyone used their tour service to Halong Bay, and is it any good? Cos from what I've read here, I was prepared to spend about 60 or 70USD for a good tour company. I don't know if I should ask them to book something different? Anyone had any experience let me know :) Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Mui Ne or Doc let

Posted by MrMidrange on 14/11/2006 at 10:11

Hi , I am tossing up between Mui ne & doc let only have time for one . -Which has the nicer beach? -Any nightlife in Doc let - I think it will be easy enough to get to doc let from Nha trang , but am worried about getting stuck in doc let as it is not a major town Can anyone please answer my questions or give me general feedback about both destinations thanks ...

Read the full post.

Saigon

Posted by PD on 18/11/2006 at 11:58

Hi, I'm new to this site. I'll be going to Saigon for 4 days during new years with one of my friends. Our tickets are booked and paid for but we have NO iDEA about hotels and WHERE we should go. Would like to stay 2 nights in the city and 2 nights at the beach nearby - is there one? Any suggestions anyone for a backpackers place or cheap motels in saigon? What are the MUST see? Is there a nice place to go out partying esp on new yrs eve? Anything would be appreciated. Thank oyu ...

Read the full post.

Easter time

Posted by jordanclay on 24/11/2006 at 19:44

Hi all is easter a good time to travel to Hanoi with regards to being busy? Are hotels likely to be booked out and tours very busy or is easter not a public holiday in Vietnam. Thanks once again Jordan ...

Read the full post.

Halong Trip

Posted by jordanclay on 21/11/2006 at 19:47

I would like to book an overnight on the boat trip to Halong Bay. I dont mind paying a bit extra to book with a reputable operator and Tropical Sails seem to be such an outfit. According to their website an overnight trip for a single cabin will cost over $200 which is a lot of my budget. Is it the same price if I wait till I arrive in Vietnam or does anyone know of an equally good operator who may be a bit cheaper? As one of the main reasons to visit North Vietnam I would hate to be disappointe ...

Read the full post.

Phu Quoc - Mango Bay

Posted by nomad33 on 23/11/2006 at 08:26

Hello Has any body stayed or know anything aobut the Mango Bay Resort in Phu Quoc? I need some frank opinons about this place before I make my booking. Anything would help - thanks vey much :) ...

Read the full post.

Hanoi over the new year

Posted by tempestblue on 5/10/2006 at 18:02

Hello everyone! My friends and I are intending to visit Hanoi over the New Year, and we're looking at low budget guesthouses, preferably double ensuites with a/c and private bathrooms. Not knowing how the guesthouse culture works, I'm just wondering if you guys could be so kind as to tell me, is it necessary for us to pre-book all the nights we wish to stay, for example through hostelworld.com or a similar online booking site? Or can we just prebook for the first night, and perhaps whe ...

Read the full post.

Coco Beach - Phu Quoc

Posted by vr8 on 13/11/2006 at 08:29

Hello! We are having a difficult time finding accomodation on Long Beach from December 31st to January 4th; seems like most places are already full! Coco Beach however, is available. We have read the review on travelfish, which is excellent, but just looking for any additional insight before we book. Also, should it get too hot, I was hoping for air conditioning; the bungalows at Coco Beach have fans... will this suffice? Thanks!!! ...

Read the full post.

Vietnam visa in BKK and flights to Hanoi

Posted by pilgrim on 13/11/2006 at 13:20

I will be arriving in Bangkok at the end of Nov and hoping to fly to Hanoi within a week(as soon as possible). I am planning to apply for my Vietnam visa in Bangkok. Does anyone know from experience how long it will take to get my visa?? I have been looking online at booking an Air Asia flight to Hanoi from BKK but want to make sure I allow enough time to get the visa... Would it be better(safer) to book my flight when I arrive in Bangkok? How might costs compare. The BKK-HAN flight is about ...

Read the full post.

going independently to cat tien national park in Vietnam

Posted by rotshy on 13/11/2006 at 18:09

hello I would like to go to cat tien independently (not with an “organized tour”). Is it possible? Will I need to hire a guide to trek in the park? Is it possible to hire a guide at the park itself? Do I need to let the park authorities know when I’m coming? Thanks for your help yael ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,581 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc or not Phu Quoc?

Posted by jodan on 12/11/2006 at 17:12

We're working our way down Vietnam (currently in Nha Trang) before heading into Cambodia and then Thailand. As we will be able to enjoy the islands in Thailand, we were wondering whether it is worth us visiting Phu Quoc, i.e whether it is nice enough to justify spending a few days less on the Thailand beaches? Also, is the weather on Phu Quoc OK this time of year (if we visit Phu Quoc it will probably be in about a 1 or 2 weeks time)? One more question - is it possible to get Cambodian visas ...

Read the full post.

heading to hanoi long term

Posted by pablocat on 28/10/2006 at 13:49

hi all, i'm leaving for hanoi in a few days to learn vietnamese and do some volunteer work and have finally decided to get organised... does anyone have any advice how to hook up with some cheap long term accomadation? share house, studio appartments - anything. Thanks :) ...

Read the full post.

Puh Quoc during Christmas? is it realistic?

Posted by epkhelt on 11/11/2006 at 16:56

We are arriving to HCMC the 23rd of December and were planning to go to Puh Quoc the 24th stay for 3 nights then take a boat to Rach Gia and then try to get a tour or privat minibus to see Mekong delta for two days. It seems tobe ahrd to get a bed at Puh Quoc during 24-27 th anyone that has something to recommend that could have free beds? ...

Read the full post.

learning vietnamese in hanoi

Posted by pablocat on 10/11/2006 at 17:51

hello again! does anyone know of any good vietnamese language schools in hanoi? and maybe even how to get in contact with them - is it best to ring or show up etcetera? thanks ...

Read the full post.

From Phu Quoc to Saigon through the Mekong

Posted by cartolamagica on 10/11/2006 at 19:28

Dilema: I will arrive in saigon on the 29th of december. My friends want to spend new year's at the beach (phu quoc) and i want to do the Mekong tour. I thought it would be ok if we fly over to phu quoc on the 30st and return with the boat via the mekong on the 2nd+3rd Apparently no one offers this way around... :( Has anyone done this? I don't mind flying to Rach Gia and then join an excursion... the other option is to start the mekong excursion on the 30 and arrive at phu quoc on the 3 ...

Read the full post.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page