Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents—we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Visa on arrival late at night

Posted by cartolamagica on 10/11/2006 at 19:16

this sounds silly... but it never hurts to double check: I will be arriving in Saigon at 22.00 with a visa on arrival. I know imigration still works... but will it be a problem to issue the visa then? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

In Hanoi during Tet - booking Hanoi Guesthouse in advance?

Posted by lampostx on 26/10/2006 at 12:33

hi there, Due to our flight out of Hanoi to Japan right after the Tet Festival, we are wondering if we should book a guesthouse for several days over Tet. Our plan is to arrive in Hanoi a few days before Tet, go to Halong Bay for a couple of days, then back in Hanoi to chill and take in the Tet festivities and atmosphere for a few days (sit out the time when everything is closed and fully booked). I've been looking online and have narrowed our accomodation for booking in advance to the Han ...

Read the full post.

Getting Vietnam visa from Phnom Penh reliable?

Posted by lampostx on 25/10/2006 at 11:05

hi there, We will be heading towards Vietnam in February 2007. Will be stopping over in Phnom Pehn before taking the boat to Chau Doc. Is it fairly easy/reliable to get a Vietnamese visa from Phnom Penh? I've read that it costs $35'ish for 1 day wait and that I can get it from either a travel agent or through the Vietname embassy. To get it from Canada (where we're from) before travel, it would cost us almost $100 with courier fees and such included, gasp! Much thanks for any advice! ...

Read the full post.

Trips to Sapa

Posted by Georgie on 29/10/2006 at 17:02

Does anyone have any recommendations for trips to Sapa? We are booked with Ocean Travel for the three day boat trip in HaLong and are considering going with them to Sapa also. Has anyone done this trip with them? Have no idea of what the average costs are for trips to Sapa. They are $100 for three days/four nights with travel on the Tulico train. ...

Read the full post.

Need Recommendations for Flights from Hanoi (HAN) to Hong Kong (HKG)

Posted by iprocure2k5 on 30/10/2006 at 23:22

Hi, I'm couldn't find any one-way flights from Hanoi to Hong Kong around Dec. 28, 2006. The Vietnam Airlines website is down and the Pacific Airlines doesn't allow that route on their website either. Any suggestions for websites or alternate routes? Thanx ...

Read the full post.

Hoi An and suit shops?

Posted by Enrico_Gatti on 1/11/2006 at 13:53

Can anybody reccommend me a good tailor in Hoi An, i just arrived here today and have heard its the place to get bespoke clothing. Any tips? ...

Read the full post.

weather in Hanoi

Posted by tgekchoo on 5/11/2006 at 10:29

Hi, I will be going to Hanoi on the 15/11,may i know what is the weather condition? Bringing my 6 yrs boy along,any advise of what to do and don't. Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

how to travel from saigon back to hanoi?

Posted by jellyanna on 8/11/2006 at 02:38

we are 2 female travellers who are going to be in vietnam for only 10 days and are flying in to hanoi first, then going south to saigon. what is the cheapest (and fastest) way on getting back to hanoi from saigon? help would be very much appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Bus Timetables

Posted by MrMidrange on 9/11/2006 at 11:58

i have looked everywhere on the net for bus timetables dies anyone know where I can find one for the entire Vietnam. Also could someone advise me the best way to get from mui ne to dalat? ...

Read the full post.

My Proposed trip South To north Feedback please

Posted by MrMidrange on 7/11/2006 at 11:46

Hi I am 1st time poster desperate for some feeback on my trip i would like to know if I shuld skip anythng on it or spend longer /less time in various places Feb19th -22nd Ho Chi Min (including mekong delta )? Should I do a day trip on the delta or o/night 22nd-24th Mui Ni 24-26th dalat 26-28th Nha Trang 1-2nd March Hoi AN 3rd-4th Hue 4-5th Hue 5th 9th Hanoi (including o/night on Halong bay) I would really appreciate any comments ...

Read the full post.

Halong Bay to Hanoi to Hue

Posted by cfstone on 2/11/2006 at 12:56

On the 21st of Nov I am planning on taking a 2N/3D Halong Bay trip. Upon return to Hanoi, we want to take the night train to Hue. Is this possible? Will we make it back to Hanoi in time for the train or are we cutting this too close? Thanks for your help. Cindy ...

Read the full post.

efish

Posted by cheengiap on 2/11/2006 at 23:44

errrmmm..can someone point me to where i can download the efish on Vietnam? this site is kinda tricky to navigate :) ...

Read the full post.

Halong Bay-Mid-November

Posted by cfstone on 10/10/2006 at 11:10

I am organizing a trip to Halong bay around the 20th of November and am not sure how long I should plan on going for (2 or 3 Day). It sounds as though the longer trip has time for sunbathing, swimming, kayaking etc but I am not sure if the weather in November is nice enough for that. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Yok Don National Park

Posted by halu on 13/10/2006 at 02:44

Is this place a really bad tourist trap? We're kind of intrigued by the opportunity to ride elephants, but don't want it to suck up all our money or be a tacky tourist nightmare. I know I'm asking a million questions these days, but I really really appreciate the help. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Trains to Sapa - which one?

Posted by gbazza on 28/10/2006 at 17:16

Dear All. I want to book an overnight train but there are many options Ratraco, Pumpkin, Free-something, Tulico (I dont want Victoria - too expensive). Pictures look decent for all. I've found that most recommend Tulico or Ratraco - does anyone have a recommendation??? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,088 times, with no replies.

Mekong Delta by (small) motorcycle

Posted by janduine on 17/10/2006 at 17:35

Back in 1995 I travelled the Mekong for abt 4/5 days on a small motorcycle. Just rented it and took off with my backpack. Was a really wonderfull experience. Want to do a similar trip but now with my wife and so with some better organisation. Inet-contacted some agencies asking them wether they are able to provide the small motorcycles, addresses for sightseeing, etc. But in vain. Can anyone help me with this? ...

Read the full post.

Et Pumpkin for Halong Bay and Sapa

Posted by janduine on 17/10/2006 at 17:24

I've booked with Et Pumpkin (two days, sleep on boat) for the first half of November. Anyone has any experience with this agency; sofar the information I received is OK. Second question is: will the weather (generally spoken) be OK for swimming in this time of year? We also booked a 3 days Sapa tour (one night hotel, one night with local people), travelling on the Et Pumpkin express. Similar question: has anyone experience with this trip organised by Et Pumpkin? ...

Read the full post.

Intrepid Tour around Vietnam??

Posted by Rachaelbb on 10/10/2006 at 11:03

Hi, I am looking to travel around Vietnam in Feburary next year and as I am travelling alone I thought it may be best to take a tour? I have found quite a good one with Intrepid which is called "Vietnam Unplugged" and is 15 days long. This goes to all the places I want to see and is reasonably priced, I think? Do you think I am best to do a tour rather than travelling alone? Has anyone done an Intrepid Vietnam tour lately? Thanks heaps! Rachael ...

Read the full post.

Vietnam in January?

Posted by lesleyvr on 12/10/2006 at 10:20

I am planning to be in northern Vietnam for about a week in early Jan 2007. I expect cold temperatures in Sapa, but what about Hanoi and Halong Bay? Is it likely to be chilly/rainy/foggy in these areas in January? I found average temps for January but am also wondering if we will likely see the sun! thanks ...

Read the full post.

Xmas in Saigon

Posted by robcoles on 17/10/2006 at 08:03

My best friend her daughters and I are arriving in Saigon Xmas day and meeting up with my daughter. Is there any special suggestions to do Xmas Vietnam style. After 18 years spending xmas under canvas in rural Australia this is going to be a real change! ...

Read the full post.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page