Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents—we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Phu Quoc - Mango Bay

Posted by nomad33 on 23/11/2006 at 08:26

Hello Has any body stayed or know anything aobut the Mango Bay Resort in Phu Quoc? I need some frank opinons about this place before I make my booking. Anything would help - thanks vey much :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,576 times, with 1 reply.

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Hanoi over the new year

Posted by tempestblue on 5/10/2006 at 18:02

Hello everyone! My friends and I are intending to visit Hanoi over the New Year, and we're looking at low budget guesthouses, preferably double ensuites with a/c and private bathrooms. Not knowing how the guesthouse culture works, I'm just wondering if you guys could be so kind as to tell me, is it necessary for us to pre-book all the nights we wish to stay, for example through hostelworld.com or a similar online booking site? Or can we just prebook for the first night, and perhaps whe ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,061 times, with 4 replies.

Coco Beach - Phu Quoc

Posted by vr8 on 13/11/2006 at 08:29

Hello! We are having a difficult time finding accomodation on Long Beach from December 31st to January 4th; seems like most places are already full! Coco Beach however, is available. We have read the review on travelfish, which is excellent, but just looking for any additional insight before we book. Also, should it get too hot, I was hoping for air conditioning; the bungalows at Coco Beach have fans... will this suffice? Thanks!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,911 times, with 4 replies.

Vietnam visa in BKK and flights to Hanoi

Posted by pilgrim on 13/11/2006 at 13:20

I will be arriving in Bangkok at the end of Nov and hoping to fly to Hanoi within a week(as soon as possible). I am planning to apply for my Vietnam visa in Bangkok. Does anyone know from experience how long it will take to get my visa?? I have been looking online at booking an Air Asia flight to Hanoi from BKK but want to make sure I allow enough time to get the visa... Would it be better(safer) to book my flight when I arrive in Bangkok? How might costs compare. The BKK-HAN flight is about ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,612 times, with 2 replies.

going independently to cat tien national park in Vietnam

Posted by rotshy on 13/11/2006 at 18:09

hello I would like to go to cat tien independently (not with an “organized tour”). Is it possible? Will I need to hire a guide to trek in the park? Is it possible to hire a guide at the park itself? Do I need to let the park authorities know when I’m coming? Thanks for your help yael ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,630 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc or not Phu Quoc?

Posted by jodan on 12/11/2006 at 17:12

We're working our way down Vietnam (currently in Nha Trang) before heading into Cambodia and then Thailand. As we will be able to enjoy the islands in Thailand, we were wondering whether it is worth us visiting Phu Quoc, i.e whether it is nice enough to justify spending a few days less on the Thailand beaches? Also, is the weather on Phu Quoc OK this time of year (if we visit Phu Quoc it will probably be in about a 1 or 2 weeks time)? One more question - is it possible to get Cambodian visas ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,874 times, with 1 reply.

heading to hanoi long term

Posted by pablocat on 28/10/2006 at 13:49

hi all, i'm leaving for hanoi in a few days to learn vietnamese and do some volunteer work and have finally decided to get organised... does anyone have any advice how to hook up with some cheap long term accomadation? share house, studio appartments - anything. Thanks :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,613 times, with 5 replies.

Puh Quoc during Christmas? is it realistic?

Posted by epkhelt on 11/11/2006 at 16:56

We are arriving to HCMC the 23rd of December and were planning to go to Puh Quoc the 24th stay for 3 nights then take a boat to Rach Gia and then try to get a tour or privat minibus to see Mekong delta for two days. It seems tobe ahrd to get a bed at Puh Quoc during 24-27 th anyone that has something to recommend that could have free beds? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,150 times, with 9 replies.

learning vietnamese in hanoi

Posted by pablocat on 10/11/2006 at 17:51

hello again! does anyone know of any good vietnamese language schools in hanoi? and maybe even how to get in contact with them - is it best to ring or show up etcetera? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,230 times, with 3 replies.

From Phu Quoc to Saigon through the Mekong

Posted by cartolamagica on 10/11/2006 at 19:28

Dilema: I will arrive in saigon on the 29th of december. My friends want to spend new year's at the beach (phu quoc) and i want to do the Mekong tour. I thought it would be ok if we fly over to phu quoc on the 30st and return with the boat via the mekong on the 2nd+3rd Apparently no one offers this way around... :( Has anyone done this? I don't mind flying to Rach Gia and then join an excursion... the other option is to start the mekong excursion on the 30 and arrive at phu quoc on the 3 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,192 times, with 6 replies.

Visa on arrival late at night

Posted by cartolamagica on 10/11/2006 at 19:16

this sounds silly... but it never hurts to double check: I will be arriving in Saigon at 22.00 with a visa on arrival. I know imigration still works... but will it be a problem to issue the visa then? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,375 times, with 1 reply.

In Hanoi during Tet - booking Hanoi Guesthouse in advance?

Posted by lampostx on 26/10/2006 at 12:33

hi there, Due to our flight out of Hanoi to Japan right after the Tet Festival, we are wondering if we should book a guesthouse for several days over Tet. Our plan is to arrive in Hanoi a few days before Tet, go to Halong Bay for a couple of days, then back in Hanoi to chill and take in the Tet festivities and atmosphere for a few days (sit out the time when everything is closed and fully booked). I've been looking online and have narrowed our accomodation for booking in advance to the Han ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,724 times, with 8 replies.

Getting Vietnam visa from Phnom Penh reliable?

Posted by lampostx on 25/10/2006 at 11:05

hi there, We will be heading towards Vietnam in February 2007. Will be stopping over in Phnom Pehn before taking the boat to Chau Doc. Is it fairly easy/reliable to get a Vietnamese visa from Phnom Penh? I've read that it costs $35'ish for 1 day wait and that I can get it from either a travel agent or through the Vietname embassy. To get it from Canada (where we're from) before travel, it would cost us almost $100 with courier fees and such included, gasp! Much thanks for any advice! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,606 times, with 5 replies.

Trips to Sapa

Posted by Georgie on 29/10/2006 at 17:02

Does anyone have any recommendations for trips to Sapa? We are booked with Ocean Travel for the three day boat trip in HaLong and are considering going with them to Sapa also. Has anyone done this trip with them? Have no idea of what the average costs are for trips to Sapa. They are $100 for three days/four nights with travel on the Tulico train. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,427 times, with 3 replies.

Need Recommendations for Flights from Hanoi (HAN) to Hong Kong (HKG)

Posted by iprocure2k5 on 30/10/2006 at 23:22

Hi, I'm couldn't find any one-way flights from Hanoi to Hong Kong around Dec. 28, 2006. The Vietnam Airlines website is down and the Pacific Airlines doesn't allow that route on their website either. Any suggestions for websites or alternate routes? Thanx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,271 times, with 1 reply.

Hoi An and suit shops?

Posted by Enrico_Gatti on 1/11/2006 at 13:53

Can anybody reccommend me a good tailor in Hoi An, i just arrived here today and have heard its the place to get bespoke clothing. Any tips? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,684 times, with 4 replies.

weather in Hanoi

Posted by tgekchoo on 5/11/2006 at 10:29

Hi, I will be going to Hanoi on the 15/11,may i know what is the weather condition? Bringing my 6 yrs boy along,any advise of what to do and don't. Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,974 times, with 1 reply.

how to travel from saigon back to hanoi?

Posted by jellyanna on 8/11/2006 at 02:38

we are 2 female travellers who are going to be in vietnam for only 10 days and are flying in to hanoi first, then going south to saigon. what is the cheapest (and fastest) way on getting back to hanoi from saigon? help would be very much appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,733 times, with 4 replies.

Bus Timetables

Posted by MrMidrange on 9/11/2006 at 11:58

i have looked everywhere on the net for bus timetables dies anyone know where I can find one for the entire Vietnam. Also could someone advise me the best way to get from mui ne to dalat? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,053 times, with 2 replies.

My Proposed trip South To north Feedback please

Posted by MrMidrange on 7/11/2006 at 11:46

Hi I am 1st time poster desperate for some feeback on my trip i would like to know if I shuld skip anythng on it or spend longer /less time in various places Feb19th -22nd Ho Chi Min (including mekong delta )? Should I do a day trip on the delta or o/night 22nd-24th Mui Ni 24-26th dalat 26-28th Nha Trang 1-2nd March Hoi AN 3rd-4th Hue 4-5th Hue 5th 9th Hanoi (including o/night on Halong bay) I would really appreciate any comments ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,783 times, with 1 reply.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page