Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents—we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Et Pumpkin for Halong Bay and Sapa

Posted by janduine on 17/10/2006 at 17:24

I've booked with Et Pumpkin (two days, sleep on boat) for the first half of November. Anyone has any experience with this agency; sofar the information I received is OK. Second question is: will the weather (generally spoken) be OK for swimming in this time of year? We also booked a 3 days Sapa tour (one night hotel, one night with local people), travelling on the Et Pumpkin express. Similar question: has anyone experience with this trip organised by Et Pumpkin? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,907 times, with 2 replies.

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Intrepid Tour around Vietnam??

Posted by Rachaelbb on 10/10/2006 at 11:03

Hi, I am looking to travel around Vietnam in Feburary next year and as I am travelling alone I thought it may be best to take a tour? I have found quite a good one with Intrepid which is called "Vietnam Unplugged" and is 15 days long. This goes to all the places I want to see and is reasonably priced, I think? Do you think I am best to do a tour rather than travelling alone? Has anyone done an Intrepid Vietnam tour lately? Thanks heaps! Rachael ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,205 times, with 2 replies.

Vietnam in January?

Posted by lesleyvr on 12/10/2006 at 10:20

I am planning to be in northern Vietnam for about a week in early Jan 2007. I expect cold temperatures in Sapa, but what about Hanoi and Halong Bay? Is it likely to be chilly/rainy/foggy in these areas in January? I found average temps for January but am also wondering if we will likely see the sun! thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,475 times, with 2 replies.

Xmas in Saigon

Posted by robcoles on 17/10/2006 at 08:03

My best friend her daughters and I are arriving in Saigon Xmas day and meeting up with my daughter. Is there any special suggestions to do Xmas Vietnam style. After 18 years spending xmas under canvas in rural Australia this is going to be a real change! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,224 times, with 2 replies.

Hostel in Ho Ch Minh City

Posted by janduine on 17/10/2006 at 17:29

Looking for a nice quiet hostel in Ho Chi Minh City for the last part of November. Somewhere near or in the backpackers area. Price: abt. USD 10/12 incl. airco, bathroom, nice furniture. Anyone any experience? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,054 times, with 3 replies.

What about Hue?

Posted by hiong on 15/8/2006 at 23:16

Hi everyone, I was wondering for a couple of things while I'm planning for my trip across indochine countries in the next october. One thing is: Hue doesn't seem to be a destination here, nor it was listed in the city guide. Is it so, or it was me that haven't searched well? another thing: So, if I really skip Hue and go directly to Hoi An from Hanoi, could you guys share your experiences of how is the best way to get there? I've heard about trains and well, it seemed that it had less complai ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,312 times, with 8 replies.

Potential Marriage Proposal

Posted by wormholer on 9/10/2006 at 15:12

Hello, I'm off to vietnam, starting in Hanoi, then heading down the coast to Hoi Chi Min. I'm going with my girlfriend of 5 years and am planning to get engaged whilst there.. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any romantic settings/good hotels/nice restraunts for a potential proposal? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Matt ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,179 times, with 6 replies.

Sapa

Posted by lesleyvr on 7/10/2006 at 08:30

I will only be in northern Vietnam for about a week and a half this coming January, but would really like to get up to Sapa for a couple of days. Is it worth it for that amount of time? I am thinking of taking the overnight train from Hanoi, spending the next day/night and following day there, then taking the overnight train back to Hanoi. Any suggestions? Is it possible to get any sleep on the train? Are there safety concerns? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,981 times, with 4 replies.

Perfume Pagoda and Tam Coc and Hoa Lu

Posted by lesleyvr on 7/10/2006 at 10:15

Any recommendations on visiting the Perfume Pagoda, Tam Coc, or Hoa Lu as day trips from Hanoi? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,491 times, with 3 replies.

Footprint travel

Posted by manxie on 6/10/2006 at 00:53

Has anyone used Footprint travel agent for any tours?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,019 times, with no replies.

APEC Summit in Hanoi?

Posted by halu on 3/10/2006 at 23:35

I've heard that there is going to be an APEC summit in Hanoi in late Oct or early Nov. Does anyone know if (or know how to find out if) the Hanoi airport will still be in operation? I'm planning on flying Vientiane - Hue, so I'd need to stop-over in Hanoi. Any info is appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,672 times, with 2 replies.

VietNam Airlines Domestic Fares

Posted by DakLak on 23/9/2006 at 04:42

VietNam Airlines web site is currently down as it tries to figure how to sell on-line. The following is a list of internal fares valid as of 2006SEP01. FROM________TO_______________FREQUENCY_COST HAN (Ha Noi). . DAD (Da Nang) . . . . 3 flt/day . 82/60 HAN . . . . . . . . DIN (Dien Bien Phu) .1 flt/day . 35 HAN . . . . . . . . HUI (Hue) . . . . . . . . 2 flt/day . 82/60 HAN . . . . . . . . NHA (Nha Trang) . . . 3 flt/day . 95 HAN . . . . . . . . SGN (Saigon). . . . . . 8 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,348 times, with no replies.

Vietnam Airlines (VN) to start online ticketing in 2006 November

Posted by DakLak on 21/9/2006 at 16:27

VietNam Airlines has stated: Booking tickets through the InterNet is set to be made available for Master Credit and Visa card users from 2006 October. Passengers can reserve tickets through the web site < www.vietnamair.com.vn > and would receive e-mail verification following the purchase. Vietnam Airlines (VN) to start online ticketing in 2006 November. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,373 times, with no replies.

Vietnam during Tet

Posted by Saul on 18/9/2006 at 19:45

Greetings all, this is my cherry-popping travelfish post! I am travelling to Thailand in late January/February next year. After some time in Thailand and a stop in Siem Reap to see Angkor, I was hoping to see a little bit of Northern Vietnam. Due to logistics and the need to fit in with others, I can only visit Vietnam towards the end of my trip- that is from about 16th February, which I understand is the time of the Tet festival. I had planned to spend about 9 days in Vietnam, comprised o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,487 times, with 2 replies.

from hanoi to HCM

Posted by brinner on 7/9/2006 at 11:03

Hi, We arrive in Hanoi this Saturday (09th Sept) and are travelling down the coast to HCM. We were wondering if we should do it ourselves or take a tour? We were thinking of doing it ourselves. We have 2.5 - 3 weeks to go down the coast. We were thinking of stopping at the following places: Hanoi to Halong Bay Hue Hoi An Nha Trang Mui Ne HCM Does anyone recommend anywhere else to stop or is this fine? Also what time allocation would people suggest for these places? Your comm ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,387 times, with 4 replies.

domestic air travel in Vietnam

Posted by anthony on 16/9/2006 at 09:28

Hi, Where can I find some information about cheap domestic air fares in Vietnam thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,807 times, with 1 reply.

What type of money/cheques needed for 1 month travelling?

Posted by ruten on 6/9/2006 at 22:04

Hi! We're going to Vietnam in a few weeks, and will be staing there for apprx 4 weeks. How much money is needed for this stay? US Dollars, how much and in what bills? $1, $5, $ 10?? Travellers cheques? Visa? Mastercards? Euro?? Is it difficult to get money out of ATM's, and where can they be found? Is Dong usable for everything, or is it an advantage to have dollars? Will be travelling from HCMC to Hanoi along the coast, and back again... Regards Rune ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,400 times, with 2 replies.

Kicking around in the Delta

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/8/2006 at 14:05

I'm off to Saigon and the Delta tomorrow for about two weeks -- down through Tra Vinh, Soc Trang, Bac Lieu, Ca Mau, Rach Gia, Hon Chong, Ha Tien, Phu Quoc and a few other spots along the way. If anyone's in the region and wants to meet up for a coupla 333's drop me a message in this thread. Have fun! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,462 times, with 4 replies.

help would be much appreciated!!!

Posted by alexrobinton on 11/9/2006 at 17:07

traveling for eight days in vietnam. flying into hanoi, leaving from saigon. would love a beach recommendation and somewhere along the mekong as well. we're on a tight budget and would love hostel recommendations! thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,713 times, with 1 reply.

Phu Quoc Island and other Mekong Delta coverage added

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/9/2006 at 12:30

Just to let you know we've added in most of our new Mekong Delta coverage, including a bunch of pics from the lovely Phu Quoc Island. You can see the photos here: Phu Quoc Island photo gallery. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,213 times, with 5 replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page