Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents—we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

What type of money/cheques needed for 1 month travelling?

Posted by ruten on 6/9/2006 at 22:04

Hi! We're going to Vietnam in a few weeks, and will be staing there for apprx 4 weeks. How much money is needed for this stay? US Dollars, how much and in what bills? $1, $5, $ 10?? Travellers cheques? Visa? Mastercards? Euro?? Is it difficult to get money out of ATM's, and where can they be found? Is Dong usable for everything, or is it an advantage to have dollars? Will be travelling from HCMC to Hanoi along the coast, and back again... Regards Rune ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,425 times, with 2 replies.

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Kicking around in the Delta

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/8/2006 at 14:05

I'm off to Saigon and the Delta tomorrow for about two weeks -- down through Tra Vinh, Soc Trang, Bac Lieu, Ca Mau, Rach Gia, Hon Chong, Ha Tien, Phu Quoc and a few other spots along the way. If anyone's in the region and wants to meet up for a coupla 333's drop me a message in this thread. Have fun! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,487 times, with 4 replies.

help would be much appreciated!!!

Posted by alexrobinton on 11/9/2006 at 17:07

traveling for eight days in vietnam. flying into hanoi, leaving from saigon. would love a beach recommendation and somewhere along the mekong as well. we're on a tight budget and would love hostel recommendations! thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,734 times, with 1 reply.

Phu Quoc Island and other Mekong Delta coverage added

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/9/2006 at 12:30

Just to let you know we've added in most of our new Mekong Delta coverage, including a bunch of pics from the lovely Phu Quoc Island. You can see the photos here: Phu Quoc Island photo gallery. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,241 times, with 5 replies.

Visa for Vietnam

Posted by brinner on 5/9/2006 at 13:11

Hi, We are currently in Viang Veng and are travelling to Vientiane. We have read that it takes 4 days to get a visa for Vietnam from here. However, we are flying from Vientiane to Hanoi, so is if possible to get it on arrival? Cheers Brian. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,705 times, with 5 replies.

Bus or Boat from Phnom Penh to HCMC

Posted by cambodiachris on 3/9/2006 at 13:07

Hi Folks, My mom is coming to visit my wife and I in PP, and we're planning to go to HCMC for a couple days. What is the most painless way to do that? Thanks for the help! Chris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,316 times, with 7 replies.

Tet Festival 2007

Posted by whitecat on 5/9/2006 at 17:41

Hi I'm travelling to Vietnam in February next year, and I've seen quite a few mentions of the Tet Festival. I'm having trouble working out exactly what date it begins on, and how long it goes for. I've seen both February 18th and 22nd mentioned. What sort of impact does it have on the tourist industry? I'll be in Ho Chi Minh City around that time, flying out on the 21st. I'd love to be there to see what its all like. This site is great! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,511 times, with 3 replies.

Multi entry visa

Posted by packedbags on 6/9/2006 at 01:16

We will be in Vietnam in Dec/Jan. We are flying into Hanoi and out of Saigon but were thinking about a side trip to Siem Reap. We do not yet have our Visa and were wondering if anyone knows how expensive a multi entry visa in (so that we can get back to catch our flight home). ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,513 times, with 2 replies.

Tours

Posted by Kristi on 4/9/2006 at 13:15

Hey guys, I am after any information about tour groups from Hanoi incorporating Sapa. I'll be travelling on my own, so a maybe a company that is similiar to an 18-35's type? Any recommendations would be very much appreciated! Cheers, Kristi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,271 times, with 3 replies.

VietNam: Independance Day, Saturday 2006 SEP 02

Posted by DakLak on 2/9/2006 at 01:10

Today is VietNam's Independance Day so travellers might notice a slight degradation is some services as everyone celebrates. Diplomats, especially the gang at 235 Dong Khoi Street, are never known to miss yet another day off, may well take Monday off as well - in lieu of Saturday, which will affect consular services. Things should be back to normal on Tuesday. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,623 times, with no replies.

Flooding in the Mekong Delta

Posted by chunk79 on 1/9/2006 at 10:10

Hi travelfishers, Has anyone been through the delta in the last couple of weeks since the flooding has begun? We are in Cambodia at the moment and were planning do do a slow trip through the delta before meeting friends in Saigon. I am wondering if it is still possible/worthwhile to do this trip at the moment (the BBC claims that 90% of the area is under water) or are we better to spend more time in Cambodia and get the bus straight from PP to Saigon? Any thoughts? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,011 times, with 2 replies.

Youth Travel IN VIET

Posted by paperpeace on 15/7/2006 at 16:14

Hi i'm going to be in Vietnam in feb 2007 and I was wondering if any of you could recomend any good hostel/hotels/b+bs where I would meet othr young travellers? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,741 times, with 2 replies.

Best Beaches in Vietnam

Posted by iprocure2k5 on 28/8/2006 at 22:41

Travellers - Looking for recommendations for the best beaches in Vietnam and also hotel recommendations. A few notes, I will be travelling with my family (2 parents in their 60's) and my brother, and my budget is preferably around USD $50/night. Thanx in advance for all recommendations. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,623 times, with 3 replies.

bus from phnom penh to ho chi minh

Posted by santsingh on 29/8/2006 at 20:39

hi all, i am currently in siem reap and have heard that there's quite a bit of water lying around. i am busing from SR to phnom penh on the 31st August, and would then like to bus to HCMC on the 2nd september. can anyone tell me if this road way is ok at the moment or if it's been hit by the floods? cheers, deb ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,735 times, with 1 reply.

Travelling from Saigon to Hue

Posted by halu on 22/8/2006 at 22:53

I'm going to have about a week and a half in Vietnam at the end of November. I'm coming in from Phnom Penh, so will be travelling from the south. I'd like to be able to see as much as possible, including the Mekong Delta and up to Hue/Hoi An. I'd also like to see some of the central highlands. I'm planning on taking the train back to Saigon from wherever I end up (if I can make it to Hue, or from Hoi An), but I'm wondering if it's practical, time-wise to attempt the central highlands sceni ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,278 times, with 6 replies.

What's the best way to get from Saigon to Hanoi?

Posted by Isa77 on 13/7/2006 at 14:11

Hello I will be travelling in Vietnam over Christmas and New Years and am not sure the best way to get from Saigon to Hanoi? The train seems reasonably priced but takes 3days! is it worth it to pay more for a flight or is the train a fun thing to do? Ta ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,459 times, with 9 replies.

Mekong Delta"The painful history of Kampuchea Krom"

Posted by Davudh on 29/8/2006 at 01:07

Please help free Khmer Kampuchea Krom(Mekong Delta) by understanding her attrocities.Please visit http://www.khmerkrom.net ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,008 times, with 1 reply.

Sea and Sand Hotel - Hoi An

Posted by ndogg on 16/5/2006 at 11:55

Hello all, A couple of questions regarding this apparently new hotel on Cua Dai Beach. Has anyone stayed there or heard any reports on the Sea and Sand? It seems pretty good value for money compared to the resorts on Cua Dai Beach. Whilst in Hoi An, we'd like to stay somewhere a bit more upmarket but not so much that we will be paying $100+ a night. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,632 times, with 3 replies.

Mid Autumn Moon Festival

Posted by cheapswill on 22/8/2006 at 11:41

I read about a Mid Autumn Moon Festival that happens in China and Vietnam every year. I can't figure out when exactly the date is this year. I'm gonna be in Vietnam from October1-20 this year and I hope I can check it out. Does anybody know the date for this year's festival and any events related to it? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,553 times, with 2 replies.

Phu Quoc

Posted by steviej on 28/7/2006 at 16:13

Hi Fishes, Does anybody know of any accommodation around the Sao Beach area. Cheers steviej ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,490 times, with 9 replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page