URA Singapore City Gallery

URA Singapore City Gallery

Singapore all planned out

More on Downtown Singapore

If you’re curious how a backwater trading post blossoms into a high-tech metropolis of more than 5 million people, you can get some insights at the URA Gallery. With so many people in so little space, every detail of Singapore’s growth needs to be carefully planned and the URA (Urban Redevelopment Authority) are the people who do it.

Travelfish says:

Everything you wanted to know about city planning but were afraid to ask

The URA Centre is a large government complex behind Maxwell Food Centre and you walk in to flashy video presentations and displays of Singapore’s latest achievements like Marina Bay Sands to impress passers-through.

To get to the main gallery, also known as the Singapore City Gallery, take the escalator to the second level.The gallery has more than 50 exhibits covering all aspects of Singapore’s growth, from public housing to planning the MRT network. It might sound a bit dull, but the exhibits are surprisingly interactive with lots of video, audio, and computer simulations.

One of my favourites modelled Singapore’s physical expansion; land reclamation grew the island from 581 km² in the 1960s to its current size of 710 km² — Raffles Hotel used to be on the beach! Another interesting fact I picked up here is that only 15% of Singapore’s land is for residential use; the other 85% is set aside for commerce, industry, military bases, and parks. No wonder Singapore’s public housing estates are so crowded.

Do shrunken malls have shrunken price tags?

One exhibit not to be missed is the miniature model of downtown Singapore with impeccable detail, right down to the outdoor pools at the hotels along Orchard Road. There’s a similar model of the whole island on the ground floor. It’s not nearly as detailed, but I did manage to find my apartment.

As you leave the gallery don’t miss their collection of complimentary brochures – they’re not the usual tourist pamphlets but guides for architectural walks through heritage neighbourhoods like Chinatown and Kampong Glam.

The URA Gallery is around a 10-minute walk from the Outram Park SMRT station and likewise around 10 minutes from Chinatown SMRT, but can easily be incorporated into a visit to Chinatown as it’s beside the Maxwell Road Hawker Centre. Aspiring city planners and architects could spend hours here, but for most visitors 30 – 60 minutes should be enough. Those with an interest in design should also take a walk down the road to the Red Dot Design Museum which is just five minutes away on foot down Maxwell Road.

Admission is completely free, though you’ll need to sign in with your name and country.

Contact details for URA Singapore City Gallery

Address: URA Building, 45 Maxwell Rd
T: 6321 8321;  F: 6226 3549;
ura_gallery@ura.gov.sg
http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/citygallery/
Coordinates (for GPS): 103º50'42.36" E, 1º16'46.2" N
See position in Apple or Google Maps: Apple Maps | Google Maps
Admission: Free

Reviewed by

Tanya Procyshyn is a freelance writer and photographer. With a passion for unusual destinations, she has camped alongside Komodo dragons and shook hands with soldiers in North Korea.

Tours in Singapore


These tours are provided by Travelfish partner GetYourGuide.


Our top 10 other sights and activities in and around Downtown Singapore

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
Chinatown Street Market

Tourist trinkets and overpriced durian

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
Buddha Tooth Relic Temple

Make sure you explore

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
Chinatown complex

A must see -- and eat.

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
Asian Civilisations Museum

An impressive collection of art and artifacts from

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
Singapore Zoo

One of the world's best

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
Singapore Night Safari

You really do see them in a different light

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
Sri Mariamman Temple

Great carvings and a great horn.

Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve
Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve

A breath of fresh air

No pic at the moment — Sorry!
National Gallery

Grandiose